While students left school campuses last week and teachers departed this week for their summer vacations, staff and administrators working feverishly on preparations for the upcoming school year, which begins on Aug. 22, are facing some different challenges this summer as the School District looks to cut expenses.
Beginning Monday, June 20, a number of school principals and staff will bid farewell to their schools and depart for a nearby school campus. The plan to consolidate school sites during the summer was approved by the School Board on May 23 and is estimated to save the School District $600,000 in utility costs. Below is a list of schools and where staff will be located until Monday, Aug. 8:
- Astatula Elementary, 13925 Florida Ave. (staff located in cafeteria)
- East Ridge High, 13322 Excalibur Road, Clermont
- Clermont Middle
- Cypress Ridge Elementary
- Windy Hill Middle
- East Ridge Middle, 13201 Excalibur Road, Clermont (staff located in building 2, room 101)
- Eustis Elementary, 714 E. Citrus Ave.
- Eustis Heights Elementary (located at Lake Technical Center, 2001 Kurt St., Eustis)
- Eustis High, 1300 E. Washington Ave.
- Eustis Middle
- Seminole Springs Elementary
- Grassy Lake Elementary, 1100 Fosgate Road, Minneola
- Groveland Elementary, 930 Parkwood St. (staff located in cafeteria)
- Leesburg Elementary, 2229 South St. (staff located in cafeteria)
- Leesburg High, 1401 Yellow Jacket Way
- Beverly Shores Elementary
- Carver Middle
- Fruitland Park Elementary
- Oak Park Middle
- Lost Lake Elementary, 1901 Johns Lake Road, Clermont
- Pine Ridge Elementary
- Mount Dora High, 700 N. Highland Ave.
- Mount Dora Middle, 1405 Lincoln Ave. (staff located in cafeteria)
- Rimes Early Learning Center, 3101 School View St., Leesburg
- Sawgrass Bay Elementary, 16325 Superior Blvd., Clermont (staff located in cafeteria)
- Sorrento Elementary, 24605 Wallick Road (staff located in cafeteria)
- South Lake High, 15600 Silver Eagle Road, Groveland
- Gray Middle
- Clermont Elementary
- Tavares Elementary, 720 E. Clifford St. (staff located in cafeteria)
- Triangle Elementary
- Treadway Elementary, 10619 Treadway School Road, Leesburg (staff located in cafeteria)
- Tavares High, 603 N. New Hampshire Ave.
- Tavares Middle
- Umatilla High, 320 N. Trowell Ave.
- Umatilla Elementary
- Umatilla Middle
- Villages Elementary, 695 Rolling Acres Road, Lady Lake (staff located in music room)
While many of the elementary and middle schools are relocating, principals and staff at some elementary schools are moving to their school cafeterias as the Early Learning Center (ELC) summer camp will be operating out of this portion of each school. Principals and staff from East Ridge Middle and Mount Dora Middle are remaining on campus as different programs are being hosted at these two schools.
The 12 ELC summer camps (Astatula Elem., Eustis Elem., Grassy Lake Elem., Groveland Elem., Leesburg Elem., Lost Lake Elem., Rimes Early Learning Center, Sorrento Elem., Sawgrass Bay Elem., Tavares Elem., Treadway Elem. and Villages Elem.) are operating from June 13-Aug. 12. These 12 sites will remain open July 5-8, even though the rest of the School District will close for the week in an effort to save another $145,000 in utility costs. Other exceptions to the summer school consolidation plan include the third grade summer school sites of Eustis Elem., Lost Lake Elem., Mascotte Charter Elem., Rimes Early Learning Center and Tavares Elem.
Regardless of where principals and staff move in the District, main school phone numbers will continue to be answered. For a complete list of school contact information, log on to www.lake.k12.fl.us.
In addition to the school consolidations on June 20, the School District will begin new summertime hours of Monday-Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The four-day workweek is expected to save the District about $128,000 in utility costs. Lake County Schools will resume its normal business hours of Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Aug. 8.